Jacoblog

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Carnival Conversations

Carnival, you might remember, is the annual ride and CMU-student booth built festival in the parking lot outside of Casey's daycare. Casey's educators asked us to keep track of the "Carnival Conversations" happening in our family, so here are a few dialogues over heard the last few days.

Yesterday, when I went to get Casey out of her crib, she piped up: "Is carnival open today?" "No, not today. Friday. In 3 days." "Waaahhhh...I wanna go to carnival," Casey wailed.

Later, in the car, she interviewed Jacob: "Are you scared of the rides, Jacob?" "No, I'm not scared of any rides." "But," Casey replied, "don't they go fast?" "Yeah," said Jacob, the roller coaster goes really fast. I love it!" "I'm scared of the roller coaster and the Ferris wheel," Casey wailed. "I'm scared, I'm scared!"

Today Casey and I walked by the carnival rides together. "I want to go to the monkey house, mom." "OK, you can go to the Monkey House." "But I don't want to go on the Ferris wheel." "OK, you don't have to go on the Ferris wheel." "Why," asked Casey, "does the bug ride go to the Monkey House?" "The bug ride doesn't go to the Monkey House. It just spins around by itself." "Why do I like the Monkey House, mom?" "Because it's not a fast ride. It's just a house with mirrors and then a slide at the end." "Mom, am I scared of the bug ride?" "You were last year, honey." See pictures of Casey on the bug ride last year here: http://jacoblawrencenewman.blogspot.com/2009/04/carnival-how-we-love-thee.html

This year some of the Freshman I teach are building booths for the first time. I told them to look out for my brood as we visit carnival on Friday afternoon for the first time. "I'll be easy to spot," I said. "I'll be the one carrying the little girl to the Monkey House. And the little girl will be scared and laughing and screaming and happy, all at the same time."

3 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Blogger Kat said...

You all have a great time at the Carnival. I remember when Jess took Jacob one year! Casey, you will love the bug ride with a soft breeze blowing across your face. Have fun!

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Ivana said...

This reminds me of riding the incline with Casey last year while her brother went to a movie about monsters. Periodically she would ask why she wasn't at the movies and you would remind her that she didn't like scary movies to which she would reply, "I don't want to be scary." Can't wait to see the photos!

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I know someone else who doesn't like scary things:) perhaps she is taking after her Nana?? On second thought she is probably just 3 years old:0

 

Post a Comment

<< Home