Jacoblog

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Vice Principal from the Black Lagoon

I picked Jacob up from his after-care program tonight and on our way out we found ourselves walking behind Jacob's Vice Principal, Ms. Brown. She is a tall African American women with close cropped hair and a wide, open face that lights up when she smiles. Tonight she was wearing a beige sweater and slacks and small gold hoop earrings. She made an impression last summer when Jacob and I turned up for an informational session for parents and children.

Jacob and I had crowded into Linden's cafeteria on a sticky, August night. As we entered we heard Ms. Brown shouting that she was going to be telling us the rules for using the Pittsburgh School buses.

"Rule number one, is, get on the bus." The crowd laughed, but Ms. Brown was serious. "You think that's funny? Well, you won't think it's funny if you're one of those kids waiting on the bus, or the driver, or the parent, or the cars all stopped for the buses while your child is idling on the curb in front of an open bus door. So stop laughing and get on the bus."

"Second rule is: keep yours hands to yourselves." She had our attention now. No one was laughing.

"Third, get off the bus." Parents and children were nodding now, thinking, yes, Ms. Brown. Whatever you say, Ms. Brown.

When she was done talking Jacob and I looked at each other. Jacob's eyes were wide and earnest: "Mom, I sure I hope I don't get sent to the Principal's office this year."

Cut back to today, in the halls of Linden Elementary. As we shuffled behind Ms. Brown Jacob started to talk, quietly, at first, almost as if he were talking to himself.

"I'm very good in school." Ms. Brown didn't hear him.

"I don't have any tallies, I've never gotten any tallies. I've never been sent to the Principal's office this whole year. I'm a good boy in school."

Ms. Brown stopped and turned around. She bent down to get a better look at Jacob.

"You've never been sent to the Principal's office? Well, I guess you are too busy following directions and learning, like you're supposed to! I guess that also means that you will get to go to the good behavior party this Friday, right?"

Jacob nodded, embarrassed now, tongue tied. He held out his hand for her to shake it.

"What's your name?"

"Jacob."

"You know, I spend so much time with all of the other kids in the school I don't always get to meet the kids like you, who never get sent to my office. Jacob, I am glad to meet you."

I stammered, "I'm Jacob's mom. We've been very happy with Linden so far."

"I'm glad to hear it." Ms. Brown turned and strode towards the door, in the opposite direction from where we were headed. "See you later, Jacob," her voiced ricocheted off the mint green lockers. And then she was gone.

Jacob and I picked our way over the snow and ice on our way to the parking lot, where Josh and Casey were waiting for us in the car.

"I sure am glad you've never been sent to Ms. Brown's office," I said.

"Me too," said Jacob. And then he started to run for the car like he'd been shot out of a canon.

2 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I got such a kick out of this blog entry!! Being a principal I can appreciate that she had never met someone as kind and good as Jacob! We tend to meet those who are trouble makers and we certainly remember them!! Jacob is such a rule follower and I'm so proud of that! Yea for Jacob!! Perhaps Jacob will visit the princpal's office for good deeds!! I loved this story, thanks for sharing! Love, Mom

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Kat said...

What a good story. I could just picture it all coming down. I am glad Jacob has not had to encounter her in a negative way! Good job Jacob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home