Jacoblog

Saturday, February 05, 2011

Making the Piñata





Growing up, my family had the most amazing way to celebrate New Year's Eve. On the day after Christmas we drove with our friends the Frosts about two hours north to the port city of Anacordes. From there we would take a 4 hour ferry to Friday Harbor, the queen city of the San Juan islands. From there we would drive to the Friday Harbor Labs and stay in these quaint, knotty-pine little cabins until January 1st or 2nd.

The four of us kids would play with our toys and eat our Christmas candy. The adults would read, relax, make meals drink wine and try to get an antenna rigged to the roof of the cabin to watch football. Usually unsuccessfully!

On New Year's Eve we would play card games (M'n'M poker), board games, etc., until midnight, at which point we would break open a piñata. As I got older I started to make the pinata myself, using paper maché and tissue paper. One year I made a piñata in the shape of our toy poodle. One year I made a dragon.

This year I decided to start passing down the New Year's Eve home made piñata tradition to Jacob and Casey. (Last year we broke open a store-bought one). We made a clock piñata using the Blizzard Maker box! I had some yellow streamers, so it sort of became a Steelers colored piñata. The kids enjoyed getting their hands dirty! And I had fun thinking about auld lang syne!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home