Jacoblog

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Louise Renshaw Smith, 1913-2009

My grandma's obit was published today (January 25th) in the Seattle Times. It was written with my mom, Ann, her sister, Susan, and my grandma's good friend Sue Beyer. http://www.legacy.com/SeattleTimes/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=123225304.

Saturday, January 17th. My Grandma Smith died this morning at 5:12 AM. She was with her identical twin daughters, my Mom Ann and my Aunt Susie, who had stayed the night in the nursing home in order to be by Grandma's side. My Grandma fought for most everything her entire life. After her spinal cord accident at the age of 25, she fought to walk, and fought through the pain of using a cane and the social stigma of being handicapped for the rest of her life. Up until about four months ago she could still walk with a walker; since Halloween she had needed to use a wheel chair and had been increasingly dependent on others for getting around. But she fought hard for the bits of life she could still enjoy---all the way through to the end. Just two weeks ago when I was still in Port Townsend she was upset with me for failing to wake her up in time to watch a Husky basketball game!

To honor my Grandma on her 95th birthday I was able to adapt the autobiography she had written into a photobook form. It can be viewed (and purchased) at this address: http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/362724/51074409bf8340638443382f78fe58ed
Fortunately, she was able to see that it was in its final form just days before she died.

1 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Kat said...

Dear Family,
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Louise. I know she was a strong force in your lives. I wish I had had the chance to meet her. I remember how impressed I was with her letter for best wishes at your wedding in Saba because she could not be there.
Love to all,
Kathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home