Jacoblog

Monday, June 21, 2010

Beauty and the Beasts




Lately Josh and I have been taking turns doing "special outings" with each of the kids. I don't remember what Josh and Jacob were doing on this particular Sunday morning, but last month Casey and I checked out the "Gargoyle in the Garden" exhibit at Phipps Conservatory on our own.

The butterfly exhibit is always a summer highlight at the Phipps. The small, orchid-filled room boasts so many different kinds and colors of butterflies that it can almost be overwhelming. I caught this orange monarch butterfly after he landed. He looks a bit odd because I used a flash.

I learned a lot about gargoyles at the exhibit. According to the Tribune review of the show, gargoyles originated as decorative down spouts:

"A true gargoyle is actually a working rain spout. Anything that's not a rain spout is called a grotesque," Melino said. "But through the years, (the word) gargoyles is all-encompassing."

During the Middle Ages, these stone figures, as well as pointed arches, ribbed vaults and flying buttresses defined Gothic architecture. The gargoyles were purposely posed on cathedrals, churches, castles, palaces or dwellings to protect the buildings or the people inside by scaring off evil or harmful spirits.

The Gargoyles at the Phipps were both beautiful and ugly, while Casey was just, well, beautiful. Above she is posed outside in the children's garden, which is finally operational now that the weather is great!

1 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Kat said...

I want a real Gargoyle!! I love the Phipps, it is one of my favorite places to go in Pittsburgh. Casey is for sure the beauty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home