Jacoblog

Sunday, May 02, 2010

Jacob Newman Express

Last weekend our family journeyed to State College to visit friends from Josh's graduate program and, also, Rich, Amy, Jackson and Violet. Though the weekend was a bit cloudy and rainy, the gang still got in a number of front yard games of baseball. As we were packing up Amy urged me to find a little league team for Jacob. She thought it would be good for his focus, and, also, "that kid can hit!"

So this week I used some online resources and some friends to help me find the 14th Ward, a wonderful little league program for younger kids that has practices and games about 1.5 miles from our house. When I finally reached one of the league organizers via email he explained that they were two weeks into their "season" but that they still had a spot for Jacob.

"Just come by the field tonight," Jeff emailed. "There should be a spot on one of the teams."

Jacob and I made it to the field early. We found a dad with his six year old son and a toddler boy in a stroller. He told us to practice with them for awhile. He lent Jacob a glove. His son was really cool---he helped Jacob learn how to snap the ball in his glove like an alligator.

As the teams started to assemble we were told there was a spot on a team called the "Express." We ran over to meet our new team. We met "Coach Robert" and a few of the other dads. I mostly sat on the sidelines while Jacob got a quickie lesson in batting stance and the basics of fielding.

Jacob had a blast. At the end of the practice he literally started counting the days until he could play again. Which was yesterday. At the end of Saturday's practice, while munching on the Dunkin Donut holes brought by one of the moms, Jacob said: "This is the best day of my life."

Thanks, Amy, for pushing us to do this! Not only is it fun for Jacob, but it's fun for me too! And thanks to Papa Larry and the 1996 Mariners I love watching the kids play and I know a surprising amount about the game!

3 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Blogger Ann said...

From reader to baseball player - what a week for Jacob! Sounds like he is on his way to a balanced life:)

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Love, reading, and baseball. Jacob's a busy man. Sounds like the summer is gonna be awesome! Go Jacob! - Love, Nancy

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Jacob, I hope I get to see you play when I come. You sure are learning a lot and growing up! Baseball is so much fun to play.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home