Jacoblog

Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's beginning to look a lot like....Halloween!

Casey and Jacob and I were in Cotsco last week when Casey pointed excitedly. "Look!" she cried. "It's the Christmas!" Sure enough, it wasn't yet October 19th and the Christmas marketing had begun.

Thankfully, however, everything else is Pittsburgh is still decorated for Halloween. And I love it. It is my favorite time of year. I think I like it even more than Christmas.

I go nuts during the holidays, a fact for which I can safely blame my parents. My mom decorated for virtually every holiday on the calendar. On Valentines Day my mom put up hearts and put out chocolate candy. On St. Patrick's Day she decorated with shamrocks and leprechauns. On Easter we would get baskets from the Easter bunny and my Grandma Smith sewed matching Easter dresses for me and my little sister. In the spring I made May Day baskets out of construction paper strips, and delivered the baskets filled with flowers to the neighbors. On the Fourth of July we hosted a giant swimming party (we lived on Lake Washington) for all of our friends; my dad would add historical trivia contests and relay races to the food and fireworks.

But the fall/winter holidays were the most exciting. Each year I started planning my Halloween costume during the summer. One year I when I was in fifth grade I lay awake for hours each night, for weeks upon end, trying to figure out how I could create a Halloween costume that looked like a clarinet (which I played in the band). I eventually decided to make a "book worm" costume. I made a green mask for my head, and I wore goofy black glasses and a graduation mortar board. And then my body was encased in a giant cardboard box that I had painted to look like a book. The book was titled, "BOOK WORM."

Yah, I was a giant nerd. Even when I was just eleven years old.

My Grandma Newman did her part, too. She was a seamstress in Helena, Montana, where she worked for a family of sisters by the last name of Moore. The Moores also had a candy shop, and, so, for every holiday my Grandma would send us cardboard containers filled with candy from the Moore's shop. The containers were sturdy little decorations in their own right. There were pumpkin shaped boxes for Halloween, boxes shaped like firecrackers and covered with glitter for the Fourth of July, and boxes in the shape of birds and eggs for Easter. The candy itself was kind of yucky: miniature spiced gumdrops. But the boxes were so sturdy that my mom has passed some of them onto me.

My dad also got into the act. During Halloween and Christmas my dad painted the windows in the living room with holiday scenes. He used tempera paints, and the images were pretty easy to wash off and/or scrape off when the holiday had passed. My dad never involved me in the process, but I was in awe of it. I watched him like I was watching Michelangelo paint the Sistine Chapel—even though my dad was just painting homey scenes, like kids throwing snowballs, or a scary witch with a green face.

Inspired by this memory of my dad I announced my Halloween decorating plans to Josh.

"I'm going paint our windows for Halloween."

"What?"

"My dad used to paint the windows of our house; I'm going to paint the windows with scary Halloween scenes for Halloween."

"No, you're not."

"What?"

"You are not going to paint the windows. That sounds really messy: going on as well as coming off. I suggest you come up with a different plan."

"Uh, OK. You might have a point."

So, I decided to do black paper silhouettes for the windows. I asked the kids to help me choose different images from a database online, and then I sketched them on paper and cut them out with an exact-o knife. The cutouts look good from inside our apartment, especially during the dawn and twilight hours. At night, from the street, they are lit from behind by the glow our lights. Perhaps a new tradition has been born?

At the same time I have to ask myself: why am I so crazy for the holidays? Is there a line between just making things special, and making a huge mess and spending a lot of money? I often do both! And, while I have fond memories of the way we celebrated holidays when I was child, are my current activities more about me showing off my artistic skill, and less about spending time with my kids? Am I pushing candy on them, needlessly and constantly, throughout the year? I'm not entirely sure!

On the other hand, uh....here's my handiwork. Please admire it! Or tell me that I've gone to far!




I also made Halloween cookies for an afternoon during which Jacob and I were entertaining 2 other Linden kindergarten homeroom moms and their kids. Jacob and I made the dough. Then I rolled, cut and baked the cookies. Then I frosted all of them green. Then Josh, Casey, Jacob and I decorated them with little tubes of thin frosting, candy corn, and black licorice. My favorite designs were made by Josh! (Hint: he made the snake cookie and the spider cookie, below!)


I come from a significant familial network of sicko holiday fanatics. Here are the Halloween hair clips and mini bags of m-n-m's that "fun" Aunt Cindy sent!



Finally, my holiday aesthetic has been successfully transmitted to at least one of my children. I came back from my trip to Madison to find this cute paper pumpkin on the wall. Jacob made it at school. It's so darling and whimsical! It's going to go in our permanent Halloween collection for sure! Any suggestions on how to keep the construction paper from fading?

10 Comments:

At 10:53 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Your parents sound like the ideal kind! Mom and Dad went "over the top" for Christmas, and some reason Easter. We never hid eggs, probably because there was snow on the ground! But we would all get a new Easter outfit (when they could afford it) and we didn't even go to Church, but we did visit our Grandmothers.
Your childhood holidays sound so fun! I think making holiday memories is very important. Like you, your children will never forget those good times. There is nothing wrong with that!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Kat said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Amazing line: "I come from a significant familial network of sicko holiday fanatics."
Also, I agree: Josh's cookie designs are truly artsy, and Jacob's pumpkin face portrait is incredibly sweet. He is definitely being indoctrinated successfully into the family tradition/obsession. The window designs are fantastic--and really, really look good from the outside at nighttime, too. I think a tradition is indeed born!

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Incredible decorations! I love the window treatments- and those cookies, fantastic! You go, Kathy!

 
At 6:52 AM, Blogger Kat said...

I love the window treatments!!! Those cookies are very creative and look delicious. If you take them to Jacob's class, you will have to do that every year because they will pay you so many compliments that you will want that on your mommy resume! I know.

 
At 7:17 AM, Blogger Undomesticated Me said...

I'm impressed! I love the window decorations and the cookie designs. And I thought I went all out this year because we carved a pumpkin and roasted pumpkin seeds! Happy Halloween!

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've gone all out this year too! I love the window clings! I can just imagine seeing those in the tree house!! The cookies remind me of our wonderful time in Nashville and our trip to the pumpkin farm. I've loved this month's calendar pic- with Batman and Catgirl. My big project this year: I created the Corpse Bride costume pieced together from thrift stores. Total cost: $35 Cost to buy online: $100 We are having a party with dry ice fog and fancy carved pumpkins. My friend Jackie found a Halloween recipe for a cat litter cake complete with tootsie roll poo and a scoop for serving. I can't wait to bake it later. Your post is wonderful. Helps me be a part of your holidays!! Love you guys and Happy Haunting!

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger Kathy N. said...

Thanks for all of your great comments, friends and family! I guess I'll keep up my holiday mania...at least for now! I can't picture a "kitty litter cake." It sounds disgusting...but fascinating! Nancy, please send pictures!

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Ann said...

HI Kathy,
When I see what you do with the Holidays I realize you are expanding and creating your own traditions. For me the best part about holidays are traditions, grand or not it's what Jacob and Casey will remember the most. Your holidays are bordering on grand! Love,
Mom

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Actually I said that if you can show me on the can where it says "water soluble" or "comes off with soap and water," then you could paint the windows :) The cutouts for the windows turned out great anyway. I don't know if you noticed, but the cat in front of the moon has had her tail torn off (by me, yes), but she still looks great! I want to save the cutouts (except for the torn cat) for next Halloween...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home