Jacoblog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Adult Halloween Party---Very Adult Costumes!

Unsurprisingly, with all this activity on behalf of the kids' costumes, Josh and I did not have a lot of time to work on our own costumes. We had plans to go to the first "grown up" Halloween party as a couple since Jacob was a baby. Josh used the opportunity to think of something very practical that he needed, around which he would build a costume. He thought of a trench coat, and then he thought of some costumes that might work well with a trench coat (I'll let you use your imagination for a moment).

I had a different process. For most of my adult life my Halloween costumes have been political and/or abstract. I thought I might go as one of this year's stand out disasters, like the BP oil spill. I started looking around on the web only to discover that this is a commercially produced costume this year! Only $30.00, before the rush shipping and handling!


I decided to make my own much less expensive version. I got a pair of painter's coverall from Home Depot, printed out some BP decals, got one of the kids' construction hats, and some green tape to make my rain boots BP green. I got some spray paint, because it would dry more quickly, and voile! Here is the back of the costume.


We started our evening at David and Heather's. They were dressed as Don Draper and Joan Hathaway from Mad Men. Don't they look great? Josh is dressed as, you guessed it, a flasher. The old man's hat, creepy sunglasses and black socks really make the costume.


Here we are having our before-party cocktails!


The party was intense---it was full of adults who were mostly over 40, and everyone was in full costume. There was a Minnie and Mickey Mouse, an adult (sexy) Lady Bug Girl, an astronaut, Sonny and Cher, Boris and Natasha (cross dressing), several doctors and nurses, and a pair of Coneheads (from the old SNL skits). But we were definitely some of the most original costumes at the party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home