Jacoblog

Monday, October 11, 2010

Good Neighbors


When we first settled on Beeler Street we knew we had moved into what is, in effect, a college student haven. We watched from our front porch as middle aged landlords mowed lawns and stopped by to check on their tenants. We furrowed our brows at the odd bits of trash and equipment in one of our neighbor's back yard, and shuddered in horror when we saw the number of beer and alcohol bottles that piled up on Beeler Street on recycling mornings.

Our fears were not relieved when I attended a meeting of the Beeler Street Association hosted by CMU---at which I was treated to an explanation of solutions the neighborhood might think about for slowing the traffic and quieting the students on our street. The police reported that they had made a deliberate show of force during the first few weekends of the year with the goal of quelling the partying that happens more arduously before the semester workload reality has set it.

So far, though, knocking on wood and crossing our fingers, we have had a very pleasant fall on Beeler Street. Most of the student parties that have taken place on either side of us have not been that loud, and the occasional drunks that wander by our windows, shouting, have not been overwhelming enough to constitute critical mass. We actually like the student presence---they are active, interesting, and not nearly as obnoxious as we had feared.

Last week was the first time we have had to ask anyone to pipe down. At about 2:00 AM I had been awakened several times by loud conversations on the porch to one side of us, and so I donned my bathrobe and ventured out.

"Hey, my name is Kathy Newman and I'm your neighbor. We're trying to sleep and you guys are being too loud."

A few heads turned. "Oh, I'm sorry! I'll go turn down the music."

"It's not the music," I explained. "It's actually the voices on the porch. There's our bedroom windows." I pointed upwards. The porch denizens nodded. They even looked a bit embarrassed.

"We're sorry," one said.

"It's OK," I replied, and trudged off to bed. The noise abated and I fell asleep.

A few days later I came downstairs where Casey was reading in the living room.

"Look, Mama. Someone left us something."

On the porch was a large bag of oranges and two boxes of tea---Jasmine and Green Tea There was a post-it with an apology on it: "Sorry for the noise last weekend. From your neighbors."

I was truly surprised. And delighted. The apology was unexpected and the gifts were a nice touch. Over the years I have complained many times to my neighbors about noise. And never anything like this!

So, I have to say, so far Beeler Street has been one of the more welcoming neighborhoods we have lived in. Thanks, CMU students!

5 Comments:

At 7:18 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Well, that was nice. With the Jasmine and Green Tea I would think that they want you to get a good night's sleep. How sweet and thoughtful.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice post! What an utterly sweet neighborly gesture--and salubrious gifts, too: antioxidants and vitamin C! Perhaps this is my caffeine-sensitivity talking, but my interpretation is unlike Kat's: I smell an invitation into the neighborhood revelry!

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Ivana said...

This reminded me of a large sign posted in front of an apartment building next to a community theatre in our hometown -- it says "No loud chattering." It was a huge sign with an imposing sign whose message, I felt, was undercut by the use of the word "chattering." At least you weren't out on your lawn shaking your fist at them!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Ann said...

This story makes me want to know more about your neighbors - they sound like nice people to get to know:)

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger MrRedaGreen said...

http://mrredagreen.blogspot.com/ I like the their costumes...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home