Jacoblog

Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Legend of the Belly Popper

Two years ago, when Jacob was almost 4 years old we were living in Nashville and we drove down to Josh's folks' place for Thanksgiving. The night before Thanksgiving Day I told Jacob a story at bed time. I was trying to think of a story that would emphasize the importance of playing outside on Thanksgiving Day, and not eating too much, and the image of an evil troll with a big stick popped into my brain. I made up a story about an evil troll named the "Belly Popper," that would pop the bellies of anyone who ate too much for Thanksgiving and/or failed to play outside after dinner.

I immediately felt that my story was inappropriate, and, so, as I was telling it I got the giggles. I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. I stopped telling the story and made up something a bit more comforting. But I couldn't get the Belly Popper out of my head.

The next day I told my story about the Belly Popper to Josh and his mom, who we call Kat. Kat was horrified, but I got the giggles again and laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. When Jacob heard us talking about the Belly Popper he got very scared. "It's not real!" Kat cried.

Last Thanksgiving came and went without too much talk about the Belly Popper. A few months ago, however, I mentioned the Belly Popper to Casey. She was terrified. She was convinced that the Belly Popper was going to come and pop her belly. She kept pulling up her shirt to make sure her belly was still there. We finally convinced her that he wasn't real----just a story her mean mom made up.

This Thanksgiving morning Jacob and I talked about the Belly Popper. Jacob said the Belly Popper would turn into a good guy this year. I hope so. Otherwise, I'm going to go down in history as the scariest mom of all time!


5 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Blogger Undomesticated Me said...

Oh no! Now you've got me scared about the Belly Popper!

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Nancy said...

I think I needed the belly popper yesterday. Luckily we took a nice hike in a beautiful Illinois state park to offset overeating. The statue is creepy tho!!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Kat said...

I just cannot seem to get into your Belly Popper stories. It just ruins Thanksgiving Feast. I am not horrified by it, I just think it bursts some Tradition bubbles. Yep, I guess over-eating at Thanksgiving is part of the tradition.

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Kathy N. said...

Hi Kat: You make a good point! Overeating is a big part of the day. I think my original idea was to emphasize the importance of going outside to play. I know when I was a little bit older than Jacob my sister and I would disappear outside with our best friends and be gone for hours! I hope when Jacob and Casey are older that they will have some of those experiences. You guys sure do have a great yard for that kind of play!

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Kat said...

Me again: Yes, I loved being outside during the holidays and everyday for that matter when I was a kid. Course, if we stayed in, there were chores to do, so it did not take much to motivate me to get out!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home