Jacoblog

Sunday, January 10, 2010

A Few Little Things I Want to Remember

One thumb down, one thumb up

Over the holidays Jacob invented his own rating system. When telling us whether or not he liked something, he made one fist a "thumbs down" and one fist a "thumbs up." He then made one or the other knock the other one out of the ring. He did this while we were listening to an album of kids music that Casey got for Christmas. When a song about how to clean up your room came on the fist with the thumbs down won. When a song about cookie baking came on the thumbs up was the winner!

Getting grumbled

Casey likes for Josh to make a cocoon out of blankets on the bed, to get in that cocoon, and then for Josh to make that cocoon almost fall off the bed with her in it. She calls this "getting grumbled." We really don't know where this came from!

The "wipey" pants

Casey doesn't like the navy blue 4T snow jumper she inherited from Jacob (and gosh only knows where we got it from before that). It's made of nylon, and it's hard for her to walk in because her legs become so bulky. She complains that it's too "wipey."

Something borrowed, something blue

I showed Casey a jewelry box yesterday that had the blue garter belt in it that my mother wore when she first got married in 1965. I remember looking at that garter belt in my mother's dresser when I was a little girl, and thinking about what it meant. Then, when I got married, I wore the blue garter belt.

These days, at 45 years old and counting, it's definitely looking a bit stiff, old, and worn. Casey asked me what it was, and I told her she could wear it when she got married. Today, when I got the box out again, she said, "Mom, when I get married, I want to marry you and Jacob and Daddy." It reminded me that the other day I asked her if she wanted to have babies when she grew up. She replied, "No, I'm just going to have a dog."

5 Comments:

At 6:33 AM, Blogger Kat said...

I am so glad you share these things with us! It brings smiles to my face all the time. I like Jacob's rating system.
And a good choice of words about the "wipey" pants. I think I understand why she calls them that (from the sound they make when she walks.)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Undomesticated Me said...

These are all such great details of every day life. Wonderful memories to share with the kids as they grow up.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I wore a blue garter when I got married too and it was a from a family friend's wedding. Now I'm wondering where the heck it is???

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Such a good idea to write these little things down! Now you'll remember them forever. I was just telling my husband last night how glad I am to have written a blog these last five years- Otherwise, my life post kids would be one big blur...

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Christopher Mark Jones said...

Makes me want to be a grandparent! Many of these treasures you're keeping are gone for most of us. There are a few chestnuts relating to my own two boys' childhoods (now 26 and 27) still around, but not many...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home