Jacoblog

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

The Good, the Bad and the Mean





Would you glare at these two darling children? Maybe you would, say, if they were playing under your chair while you were waiting to be called to board the plane? Or if they were running in front of you at the airport, maybe screeching a little too loudly?

Maybe I would, too. But as the mother of these darling children, how far should I go to restrain my children in the airport when they are about to be cooped up for 2 hours (or 4, like when we're flying to Seattle) on the plane? I try to make sure they are not being too rude, or too loud, but I also want them to run and jump and play, since it's the only real exercise they are going to get all day.

In the Memphis airport, before Thanksgiving, I was particularly chastened when a grumpy overweight dark haired woman, in her late 50s early 60s, swiveled her head and glared at me, as if to turn me into stone. The kids were playing, actually pretty quietly, just under her seat. I shooed them out from under the seats and tried to think of some new ways to entertain them while we waited to board the plane, steeling myself for another period of forced enclosure, miles above the earth.

Our two flights back from Huntsville to Pittsburgh were mercifully uneventful. The crew on the second flight, from Detroit to Pittsburgh, was especially professional. They went through the cabin before the flight and encouraged passengers to spread out into the empty seats. They gave each of the kids a small packet with 2 cookies in it (even though there was no food or drink service on the flight), and they encouraged the kids to come meet the pilot at the end of the flight. In the pictures above they are posing with the Captain's hat on. They also got to pretend to "steer" the plane. Why can't more travelers in the airport be like this great crew? Even if you don't have kids, or you if you had them, but they are grown up now, isn't it better to pitch in and help everyone have a great flight? Don't we all owe something to the next generation, even if they didn't come forth from our loins?

6 Comments:

At 6:06 AM, Blogger Kat said...

AMEN. I don't know how many times I have felt like if looks could kill, I'd be dead. Cudos to those pilots. What a real treat!
I was brought up in a world where "children should be seen and not heard", and frankly I don't believe in that. If the airport had a play room for kids, now wouldn't that be wonderful? Maybe we should present them with that idea. Then grumpy old ladies would be happy too.

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger Undomesticated Me said...

There is so much antipathy towards mommies and kids out there. Check out this great article on the topic. Sadly, I could relate. By the way, I have been to airports where they had play areas. What a great idea!

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2009/11/22/mommy_hate/

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Kathy N. said...

Thanks Kat and Paula. Actually a lot of airports DO have play areas, but usually only one. And even in a relatively small airport, the play area can be very far from either gate. Jacob and Casey and I had a layover coming home from Seattle this summer and we spent almost 2 hours in a play area in the Dallas airport. Casey made a lot of friends there and she cried and cried and cried when we had to leave it!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Kathy N. said...

My friend Cathy Day sent me this link, which generated quite a fight about flight dos and don'ts with kids. Very interesting! http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-alkon24-2009nov24,0,2649186.story

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Josh said...

Those bitter old overweight ladies better be glad they didn't glare at me... :P

 
At 11:32 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Hmm, interesting article. I'm sure, depending upon my mood and situation that I have been all three, the good, the bad and the mean. I agree with Kat that children should be both seen and heard. I do know that traveling brings out the worst in many of us, it's stressful with or without children. Your article makes us all think, though! Thanks, Love,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home